Tree of Life Zimbabwe is a non-governmental organisation whose vision is to create a healed and empowered society that puts its energy into processes of peace, recovery and reconciliation. We provide psychosocial community-based approaches that help people living with trauma to reconnect with self, nature, family and community.
Our core intervention is the Tree of Life Trauma Healing and Empowerment Workshop. Using the tree as a metaphor for life, a healing workshop combines the concepts of storytelling, healing of the emotions, reconnecting with the body and with nature, and re-establishing a sense of self-esteem and community.
The process is driven by survivors of organised violence and torture who, after undergoing the healing process, volunteer to help to heal others.
Well over 100 volunteers have been trained as Tree of Life healing facilitators and over the last 14 years, close to 1330 trauma healing workshops have been held for close to 11,000 people.
A healed and empowered society that puts its efforts into peace, recovery and reconciliation
To support communities, throughout Zimbabwe, in building peace and reconciliation from the bottom up, linking to national processes and activities as they emerge
- Healing People
Survivors of violence supported to heal and overcome past trauma
- Helping others to heal others
Increased capacity to reach more people with healing and reconciliation processes
- Linking healing to other aspects of community life
Increased social interaction and organized support systems at community level
- Learning from and communicating about our work
Strengthened Research, Advocacy and Communications
- Building the platform that best serves the work
Strengthened Organisational capacity
Theory of change
If trauma is dealt with through a group-based community-rooted process, including both victims and key people, then social-cohesion will increase, enabling reconciliation, justice, peace and development to happen
What we do
- Trauma Healing & Empowerment (TH&E) workshops
- Psychosocial Awareness & Coping Skills (PACS) workshops
- Training and Technical support to Community Based Organisations (CBO’s) and to Civil Society Organisations (CSO’s)
- Support to cultural and socio-economic development (pro-peace) initiatives
- Action Research and Reflection
- Collaboration with other CSO’s and with other agencies to influence practice and policy.
Tree of Life is a registered Trust (MA000900/2010)